Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
XW_GS
Paulie

Default is this a OH&S / Workcover Issue??

The newsagency/post office at the end of my street, has his 2 kids, one a newborn and the other a couple of years old, staying behind the counter whilst mum dad and a few workers are at it running the shop.

Now the baby is in a bouncer and the toddler runs around playing with his toys.

Now remember it is a Newsagency/Post office set up.

i once sent off a 20 kilo Clevo manifold via the newsagency... basically i place the item onto the counter, he picks it up weighs it, labels it and then stacks it behind the counter...yes where the kids are...

1. Stock or post items can easily fall onto the kids
2. there are 3 to 4 people working in there most times, easy to step on a kid on the floor.

A friend said there is nothing you can do about it, i say crap.

Is there a law against this happening in a work place environment?

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
Old 30-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't seem very safe at all. At the very least it is a trip hazard, and similarly a pretty foresable risk of injury to the child(ren).

WorkSafe Victoria would be the best to advise, maybe able to take some precautionary action. Advice line is 1800 136 089.

Kudo's for actually taking an interest in the issue, most people couldn't give a toss.

Addit. They also have a general email address info@worksafe.vic.gov.au

Both the email address and phone number quoted are for general enquiries so feel free to contact it. There is a seperate number for serious incidents or emergencies.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There used to be a couple running McDonalds here in Moree, and she was actually breast feeding the new-born baby whilst working behind the count and had there 10yr old daughter serving and cleaning tables etc.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
Old 30-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There should be a law against stirrers like you,who try to cause grief and financial hardship to hardworking ppl.
Get over it and leave it be its none of your business!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 30-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Work Horse
Budget Racer

OH&S, Workcover and Worksafe protects employees, the kids are not employees so not covered.

You would need to make a complaint to the Child Protection Service at the Department of Human Services. They have to follow up on any complaint of abuse or neglect.

Not sure if you wish to go that far, are the kids in any more danger than they would be in a busy household?
Old 30-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
mad cow
blue oval addict

i thought that all maccas employees were 10 year olds, it sure seems like it.
Old 30-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
rootster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
There should be a law against stirrers like you,who try to cause grief and financial hardship to hardworking ppl.

With you on this one...maybe the kids went to pre-school and it was closed down due to swine flu.....really did it bother you that much.....sounds like these people are dedicated to there work.....or can't afford the time off....
Old 30-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootster
With you on this one...maybe the kids went to pre-school and it was closed down due to swine flu.....really did it bother you that much.....sounds like these people are dedicated to there work.....or can't afford the time off....
Im also with you guys on this one. Im sure there are more dangerous objects in the home and even yours. They are a news agency/post office and not a factory with machinery. Would you prefer they close up shop just to care for thier children? I guess you would then complain that you have to travel further to post items! May i suggest get over it and worry about more serious issues. I believe that there is already too much cotton wool being handed out already by idiots that simply have no common sence.
Old 30-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say its no more dangerous then kids running around there home .
Old 30-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

At least they are working and not bludging off the dole ..
Old 30-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They would be safer there in the shop than places where the parents cant keep an eye on them
Old 30-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if the kids were in a factory??

Old 30-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
rootster

still wouldn't be any of my business...turn a blind eye to it...unless the kids where in some sort of danger
Old 30-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Common sence again springs to mind. They simply wouldnt be allowed on a factory floor. Just like they wouldnt be allowed in an operating theatre...
Old 30-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Its got a creche!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 30-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
cjf
GT Hardcore

Thats why there called family businesses you idiot.
There are thousands of businesses all around Australia which are run by families ,my 4 kids were brought up in our bakery with the shop front attached to the house 21 years on and not one problem.
I suggest you you find something better to do then whinge about people who are trying to feed their family and provide the kids with a future.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.

Last edited by cjf; 30-06-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 30-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No really you problem mate, it's his shop and unless the kids are causing hazard to you how is it a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
There used to be a couple running McDonalds here in Moree, and she was actually breast feeding the new-born baby whilst working behind the count
Nothing illegal about breast feeding bro, are you offended by breasts or a baby feeding. as long as she wasn't working directly with food wile this was taking place, It's hardly a OH&S issue.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
XW_GS
Paulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootster
still wouldn't be any of my business...turn a blind eye to it...unless the kids where in some sort of danger

Hang on here....i AM turning a blind eye, i just wanted to see what most people here think
if anything happens to the kids its on HIS head not mine .
but i shudder to think what would happen to the 2 month old if my 20KILO cast iron manifold fell off the stack of parcels onto him.....

HARD WORKING....yes i opted for my wife to stay home and grow the kids...he drives a new Mercedes and a Saab, he cant afford time off....yes you are right...im just a stirrer......

YEP put the bucks before the safety of a baby

(Then again i have an XW...he doesnt :o) )

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland

Last edited by XW_GS; 01-07-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
XW_GS
Paulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Thats why there called family businesses you idiot.
There are thousands of businesses all around Australia which are run by families ,my 4 kids were brought up in our bakery with the shop front attached to the house 21 years on and not one problem.
I suggest you you find something better to do then whinge about people who are trying to feed their family and provide the kids with a future.
Were your kids running around the bakery under the ovens etc? or in the safety of the house??

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

Last edited by XW_GS; 01-07-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #20
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heated topic.

Question, whats the difference between the business runners children and/or a consumers kids?

I work on job sites. One big unit complex i was on had a family of plasterers working on it. Must have been about 10 of them, aged between 8 - 50. I was like WTF?!? Then the language i heard the youngest speak made me blush, i mean im a tradesman and have no problem letting go of a few foul words, but my god....and he was smoking....Im a smoker, but still felt rather appauled by this.

Oh well, Ignorance is bliss.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I was bought up on dairy farm and driving a tractor by the time I was 5 ..
My glass is half full...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #22
xr6turboford

The law does not recognizes common sense, as for the children in a work environment yes it does matter buy the letter of the law. All people whether man women or child are protected under OH&S laws. If the children are in a unsafe environment then its the owner/employer responsibility to create one.
I for one think it sounds very dangerous. Easier to remove the children that have someone drop a 20kg object on their heads. As for turning a blind eye imagine reading in tomorrows paper that a child died from a accident in that newsagency and knowing if you said something that child will still be alive. Accident do happen have you never drop something.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
See b2tf, with all due respect these are exactly the type of people I was referring to in the PM I sent you earlier. Except this opinion is understandable to a degree (showing empathy towards a struggling business sector), but still highly unreasonable and absurd when you just look past a childs safety just for money.

MO, don't insult him for doing the right thing. They're not hardworking people, they're greedy people putting their children in danger to save a few bucks, that's referring to the McDonalds couple.
As for the milkbar couple, they shouldn't have had kids if they have to devote their time to their business.
Pick one or the other just like everyone else in this country has to, or wait for the kids to grow up. If it were legal (which it isn't) then we'd have a lot more people trying to start a business, instead of having to get employed because they can't afford child care or to put financial risk on their family. As far as I see it there's people cheat the system.

Regardless, people who operate like this shouldn't have kids.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 01-07-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #24
rootster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR

Regardless, people who operate like this shouldn't have kids.
:
well done.....its no longer a workcover issue...lets play god and stop these people having kids...
So if you saw someone speeding or doing a burnout on the street would you report them.........
Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #25
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Do you not have better things to do with your time mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have a quite word to them and see if they take action. If they don't take action and give you attitude, then dob them in to the athorities. We all do stupid things without thinkingof the risks sometimes and are all human, so give them the chance and bennifit of the dought first.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #27
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Here Here , cheers , I agree with you 100% !. Some people realy need to mind their own business a bit more these days !.
To those complaining , be thankfull you have the services available in your area ( newsagencys , post offices, milkbars etc etc ) , most are run by familys and they don't make bugger all profit and can't afford child care like some.

:eclipsee_
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

There are far worse things they could be doing/not doing to those kids.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #29
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW_GS
Were your kids running around the bakery under the ovens etc? or in the safety of the house??
Not trying to stir you but house's are not safe - I have seen a photo of a todler that pulled a hot cup coffee (coffee was put one the coffee table for only a split second) Plus I have heard of a kid that pulled/ had a TV full on them.

I think ultimately let them do what they think best - otherwise where do you stop? You will have OHS visitng peoples homes

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I grew up in a Pub.... :baby bott no :baby bott problem :baby bott here :baby bott

Leave them alone FFS....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Closed Thread