Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2024, 09:07 PM   #3061
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
So I enjoy refirbishing AU steering wheels, I mainly just do Momo wheels, but when i can pickup an XR wheel for $50 I grab them. So I got this one and thought the leather had gone rotten, turns out what I thought was rotten leather, was just filth. The filth was over the whole wheel and took me around 30 minutes with Colourlock strong leather cleaner and a brush to get it off. It also had wheel slip, I fix that by using Loctite 401 and an 18 guage needle. Inject about .5ml every 1.5cm along where it slips. I'll upload the finished product of this wheel once I re-dye it.

I'm both disgusted and impressed! That thing was filthy, I'm surprised it came up so well. As my father would say, the dirt helped protect it.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2024, 09:09 PM   #3062
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm both disgusted and impressed! That thing was filthy, I'm surprised it came up so well. As my father would say, the dirt helped protect it.
It was so gross, it was really greasy as well, so guessing a mechanics car.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #3063
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

End result, not perfect, but for $40 i'm not complaining.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #3064
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
End result, not perfect, but for $40 i'm not complaining.

Looks brand new!
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old Today, 08:26 PM   #3065
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Meguiar’s were, and still are, slow to the “ceramic” market. In fact, the brand took until 2018/2019 to introduce Si02 infused “ceramic” products to the range in the form of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray and liquid forms) and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer. More recently, Ultra Ceramic Coating joined the range, basically a Carpro Reload competitor. Earlier this year, Meguiar’s launched a true ceramic coating, however M888 is a pro coating that is virtually unknown and has yet to land in Australia………………..I doubt it ever will.

But it’s the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer that I want to highlight. From the outset, despite what the name would imply, this is NOT a ceramic coating, it’s a quick detailer with Si02 added to deliver additional gloss, slickness and water beading properties.

https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/...amic-detailer/

Meguiar’s market this product as having cleaning ability, saying that it can “remove light contaminants and dust to maintain that and just washed and appearance”. To me, that sounds like a recipe for micro marring. No, Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is best used as a drying aid or topper to maintain existing protection, be that a wax, sealant or ceramic coating. Having said that, HCD on its own can provide some decent short-term protection and water beading.

There is no shortage of “ceramic” quick detailers on the market, but the user experience can vary widely between the brands and the individual product itself. For example, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer can be hit and miss for me, sometimes it goes on clean, other times it turns streaky and is a bugger to work with. Carpro EliXir is brilliant on Carpro ceramic coatings but can be a diva on other LSP’s.

What sets Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer apart from the competition is the extreme ease of use. Wet surface, dry surface, hot, humid, cold, apply it heavily, apply it sparingly …………………it doesn’t seem to matter with HCD, the end result is the same.

I typically use Hybrid Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid to top existing Gyeon coatings. To apply, I add a few sprays per panel and work it in with a medium TRC Gauntlet and a small TRC Platinum Pluffle. The initial wipes spread the product, the secondary towel clears up any that hasn’t flashed away. The finished result is a glossy and slick finish that is so stupidly easy to achieve.

There are only two things I would mark HCD down for. While this subjective, I just wish it didn’t smell like a quick detailer from 1998. The second being the price. At full retail, a 769ml bottle of Hybrid Ceramic Detailer sells for between $46.99 to $51.99. A 1000ml bottle of Carpro EliXir is $39.95, 1000ml of Gyeon Quick Detailer (which has wax in it) costs $32.99. At $46.99, HCD is not excessively expensive, but the fact Meguiar’s is almost always on sale at least one of the big box retailers, I would say shop around. At the time of writing, Supercheap have it on sale for $38.99. I would dare say that if Meguiar's set the price at lower permanent price, they would probably sell a lot more of it.

While it won’t outshine or out-gloss something like Bead Maker, nor will it deliver outstanding longevity like a spray sealant, but it’s far easier to work with and doesn’t need excessive towel work to deliver a clear finish. Overall, Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is a product that doesn’t seem to get much love, which is a same as it’s truly an excellent product.
Mustang GT