View Single Post
Old 23-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #338
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 40 THOUSAND (hypothetical) SPONDOOLIES - for a used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...3260843/?Cr=67

Very tidy low kms L67 - my pick of engine for this entire generation of Holden.
being VXII, it actually came with a working rear suspension, as a bonus

What do you reckon Franco?
That's way too clean for me, I wouldn't own a car that clean because it wouldn't stay that way.

Keen, but not for me

I fixed one of those with a starting problem - fuel pump check valve crapped out on the factory pump, would turn over a few more cycles, before firing up because the fuel would drain back to the tank after the pump primes on ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Horrible engine that one, severely underpowered for what it is. I've owned a fair few Holdens and that one would be the last one i'd own. Looks beautiful and well cared for though, love seeing nice, clean, honest cars.
Yeah in factory spec or even with a few mods, they're boat anchors, the supercharger is too small for the displacement of the super mang, the moment you put a smaller pulley on it, turns into a hair drier.

Its a good platform for a turbo conversion though, in factory spec that bottom end is pretty strong, you'd just need to chuck the Ecotec heads, fuel rail and intake manifold on it because the L67 has the injector ports located in the heads.

You probably still could use the L67 heads with the ecotec intake manifold but you'd need to block off the injector ports.

The earlier Buick version of that V6 was a 13 second car in the 1980s, Buick Grand National GNX - factory turbo.

So one assumes the L67 had the opportunity to not be such a boat anchor considering they did something way better nearly 20 years prior.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote