View Single Post
Old 19-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #244
Shockworks

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoKongo View Post
I fitted a set of XYZ coilovers front & rear on my BA.
Not impressed with them at all, they may be OK for track work but no matter what you read or hear they are not designed for rough Aussie streets. They bottom out on a regular basis even with the dampeners adjusted to their stiffest setting. The bearings in the top front strut mounts are absolute cheap rubbish and dry as a bone when you open the box. If you get XYZ, then make sure you grease the top bearings a little before you install, and even then they are still rough & clunk occasionally. Your probably better off getting them replaced with a decent Japanese brand bearing before you do the install, I wish I had done this.

If you want a little height then don't choose XYZ because they are only designed to drop your Falcon on its guts. Even when they are adjusted to their maximum limit in height they are still too low. The rears are almost useless on a BA and because they are designed to sit so low they either constantly ride on the bump stops or as in my case they sit about 10 mm off them. When you hit a bump the the suspension hits the bump stops and then roughly throws the car back up again. To get around this you have to have the adjustable spring perch extended to its limit & the shocks set at maximum stiffness. But then the ride is just so dam harsh that it's not an enjoyable experience at all. Must be a horrible ride when they are set real low on a Falcon.

Many think the the rear bump stops in a falcon are just there to stop bottoming out but they are designed to be part of the suspension and act as an addition to the springs so it is hard to get around this. Some cut them or get shortened ones but they need to be left how they are. Change them in any way and you will have lots of trouble & go through the rear bushes in twice the time.

Spend some extra money and get Tein, Bilstein or Koni, & you'll be glad you did because they can be set at a realistic height. Plus all of these three brands can be rebuilt quickly & easily, but you try getting XYZ's fully rebuilt in AUS. I'm not talking about just getting a clean & an oil refill ( you can do that yourself), I mean to replace seals , valves & everything. I wish you luck because if you do find someone with the parts it probably won't be close by, so you can expect some down time.
Hey BongoKongo,

We have now replaced many XYZ dampers as the travel is just so short. Just a note about the top bearing, If you grease the bearing, it will atract alot of dust and will damage the bearing over time as the grit will get inside the bearing. Our bearings are teflon lined with very high brake away, so no grease required.
We also offer full service and now starting to get the Shockworks Ford dampers back after 100,000Km's and still in great condition. We charge $120 per damper for a full rebuild. We have also introduced our new adjustment system into the Ford dampers, which almost doubles the previous adjustment range and can be updated with exsiting dampers from years ago.
Cheers
Brett
Shockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: