Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #1207
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think most of term 2 is a write off for schooling.

Which will pose its own problems. Sure parents my be able to take a few weeks off in a time of crisis to stay home and babysit but for en entire term?

If they have to also be at work and are expected to be at work it's going to be a disaster.

This year I'm working as a casual teacher and watched over the implementation of online classes before my work dried up.

Early indications are that it will be a disaster unless parents are right next to their children and following the classes full time.

Kindy to year 8 will need near full time supervision - very few year 9-12 students will have the dedication and ability to try follow their lessons unless their have an adult over their shoulder.

I have a daughter in Kindy, and I'm qualified to teach kindy to year 12. The amount of work parents have to do with these online classes is also a factor. I've had to record my daughter reading and singing songs, take pictures of her working as well as her work (all of which needs to be uploaded), allow her to listen to teacher feedback etc.

There are parents who are not tech savvy and have no clue how to select the right video resolution for uploading a video online or to manipulate a picture to be saved as a PDF.

Not all families have 'devices' and stable home internet.

What about the children of new migrants that don't have a good grasp of English - if at all?

I don't know the answers - either way will be a disaster.
Is that glass half full or half empty Yellow?

My wife is a leading teacher at a Primary School for new arrivals.
She has just posted out lessons for all students in various languages.
The show must go on, things will be different and challanging for teaching.
It is not a disaster IMHO
Just another problem to be overcome.