View Single Post
Old 25-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #1446
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Ford didn't invent the Ute. There were Utility type vehicles around well before Ford merged the back half of one with the front of a passenger car to create a new style of vehicle.

The cab-chassis/tub Falcon's from AU to FGX are still "Utes". The unibody versions you're referring to are technically called Coupe Utilities.
There are heaps of different Utility vehicles out there with a separate cab & tub... and they're all "Utes"

I've owned two XB Falcon Utes (Coupe Utilities) and a BA Falcon tray back Ute... and in the 80s I had a company supplied Hilux Ute (with a long tub). They all had their differences (4, 6 & 8cyl... Auto, Manual .. floor or column shift... etc) but they are all "Utes"

I've never heard anyone carry on about how a Holden 1tonner wasn't a Ute (or a Commodore 1tonner for that matter)
The Holden HQ-on Coupe Utilities (and vans) shared the full chassis with the 1tonner... which means they share more in common with the original Ford Coupe Utilities than the later monocoque Ford (& others) versions. Does that mean that not having a full chassis = not a "real Ute" too ?

Sure... I prefer the look of a Coupe Utility over a Cab-Chassis/tub style Ute... but I'd still take a late model Ford Ute over a Holden Coupe Utility any day (that's just my preference)

This might be just my opinion... but I won't stop calling a Ute, a "Ute" just because there's a gap between the cab & the tub.

D
I'll agree with most of that, except that a Holden One-Tonner was never a Ute, either are AU/BA/BF/FG cab-chassis with trays.

I think that a ute has to have a body-style tub, at the very least. A Hilux with a body-style tub is a Ute, but with a tray it's a pick-up.

Dr Terry
2 users like this post: