Thread: TDCI Focus
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #520
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yeah just got it back on Thursday, went in for its major at 189,000km.

Timing chain/belt, its tensioner, had the water pump replaced, all the engine and trans mounts and all fluids, coolant flush, power steering flush, etc.

I sourced all genuine parts, still have an account with a Ford dealership which is handy so it gets all OEM parts come service time, wasn't too bad it all came to about $1200 for all genuine stuff sans fluids.

Its like a new world, no dash vibrating anymore from toasted engine mounts, interestingly the mounts didn't appear to be damaged/torn but its a night and day difference with the car now, it used to vibrate the bonnet at idle and the windscreen and dash, now nothing, so smooth.

I've had the full set of shocks 3x - its on its second full set of Bilstein B8s the car is lowered 30mm and has shortened shocks to match.

It needs a windscreen next, its been cracked pretty badly from top left to near the rear vision mirror for about 2 years but haven't bothered to have it replaced.

Still does 5.5L/100km and I beat the hell out of it, its had a real rough life.

Pads still seem to have meat left on them so I reckon I'm going to go 200,000km+ on the factory rotors and pads.

Mechanically the car is good but the body has issues, it leaks water from the rear 1/4 windows and both taillight assemblies into the boot, its been abused on dirt roads and constantly pulls an overloaded 6x4 trailer on the regular though

I'll eventually retire it and it'll become the spare car or unless it does something expensive like an injection pump then it'll get a viking funeral I reckon, I commute 30,000km+/year just driving to and from work these days so its cheap to get me about.

At 189000 its only at half life!
The front air dam fell off mine at 110kmhr just drove on wonderered what that noise was-my indy got one from a wrecker.
I had a seat trimmer redo the seat. Mine didn't leak but was getting noisy round the window seals etc.
My replacement car is a LZ 6 speed manual not as gutsy as the TDCI but a bit more refined maybe a bit more effeminate -the tdci is a macho car.
Its done 123000kms big commute like you. Sadly as I scour carsales.com.au it appears the next car will be an auto round about 2015 manuals took a big dive. I keep coming up with a another Focus as a replacement … 2019 SA Trend say 12000kms second hand 19990$ but bloody auto. To get a manual in say a reasonably priced 2018-2019 car its either a non turbo (no thanks) Jap or Korean or a VAG Vw or Skoda. I don't know whether a 70 kw manual Fabia or Polo will cut it and Golf is pricier. There is a 6 speed manual Skoda Scala with a 250kw 1.5 due soon which is tasty but $26990 is probably past the amount I ll raid out of my super. Sigh.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote