View Single Post
Old 13-11-2022, 11:05 PM   #9
Mondaveo

Default Re: Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
That's good fuel consumption.
I second this, I'd be thrilled to be getting 6.0L/100km. Long term average in my MC wagon has always sat a touch above 7L/100km according to the trip computer. Living in Canberra, so lots of breezing along 80-90kph parkways and never in bumper-to-bumper grind.

I haven't towed but I have done some highway trips with the car heavily loaded including a roof pod on top. If I was disappointed in the 'base' mileage I was getting, then I have to laud how little the performance and economy seemed to be affected by being loaded up. In fact I found it faintly ludicrous the first time I had the vehicle packed to the gunnels, and she still pulled strongly all the way up to highway speed, the diesel just doesn't even seem to notice or care.

The thing with towing (I've been told) is your trailer will usually get the benefit of slipstream behind your vehicle, so if the trailer is smaller than the outline of the tow vehicle then there's not necessarily much drag penalty. And the weight will get you when accelerating or going uphill, but assuming level terrain, there shouldn't be much extra consumption once you're up to speed. So depending on the specific use case, consumption might not be much higher than unladen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote