View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #19
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crankshaft/flywheel bolt removal

That video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKv2yUoU6Y

linked above would be a great help for anyone doing one for the first time.

Fortunately or unfortunately the DIYer would probably only get to do it once, as it's a 10 yearish affair.

I did two because we have two 2011 MCs.

Being retired I had plenty of time.

I think I spent three days on each.

Here are a couple of things I did (apart from angst), maybe of interest:

1. I changed the waterpump, idler, tensioner and crankshaft oil seal.. I don't think the Ford scheduled service includes the waterpump or seal. I bought an aftermarket waterpump but eventually found the Ford more to my liking, mainly because the seal and general quality looked better.

2. I couldn't see the pointer on the tensioner without a mirror. I finished up using a webcam.

3. I didn't use a rattle gun because I was afraid that it might damage something, since the manual indicated NO RATTLE GUN. I used heat and a 3' lever on 3/4 extension bar. I supported the extension on a jackstand at the elbow as it were.

4. When installing the new belt I rotated the crank sprocket so the key was touching the right hand side of the groove. When the tensioner was released and while adjusting the pointer, tension was equalized on both sides of the crankshaft and the key finished up in the middle of the keyway.

4. I replaced the crankshaft bolt with a new one, as is suggested in the Ford manual. I cleaned the old bolt of threadlock, ground off half the diameter for a half inch at the end and used it with compressed ar to clean out the threadlock remaining in the crank, which wass very enthusiastically applied, as Alan Howatt found.

All the best - rondeo.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: