View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #3458
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All things Solar (merged threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I haven't looked into this for a while, so I don't know if the WA laws or technology has changed??
Is there anyway to switch (simply) between Grid and Off-Grid, in the event that the Grid goes down??
Not withstanding that I understand that grid-invertors are designed to shut-down by default, the last time I looked into this, the law in WA said that your invertor MUST shut down when disconnected from the grid. (I can only assume that completely off-grid systems were exempt from this requirement).
The result was that in the event of grid failure, you could not isolate and power your own home.
We live in an old suburb, with overhead power, and outages are annoying. (Plus there is always the impending zombie apocalypse.)
im in WA and now have grid batteries
i also talked them in to throwing in a extra package at no extra cost and its all been installed already and was approved by the west gov body western power
i have the blackout package
this will not run the whole house as the battery inverter apparently cant cope with the bungee power spikes n drops as power increases or drops and this slack is taken up by western power
however there are essential circuits wired in that in a blackout i cant tax power up to a certain Kw per that the batteries inverter can cope with for lights and a few other power outlets
but nothing like hot water , oven , aircon
and as long as there is power in the batteries
the only other caveat i know of is the grid cant/isnt allowed to power the batteries as such

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote