View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #1155
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

My little story.

I was silly enough to build a home and stay in the town I grew up in, Whyalla, based on heavy industry. The market boomed with the price of steel and influx of available jobs which further increased house prices. It become much cheaper to build new than buy old. Seemed logical. Nothing special 3br, fart box sized land, did my own landscaping and then artificial turf and small - yup, pergola! The build quality was less than desirable. The market dropped rapidly 2yrs later. Fast forward another 8yrs and the market has barely recovered due to oversaturation in the market - everyone built new inc. sub contracting companies to house employees before later selling on; and oil and steel prices never regaining what was. I have moved on but rent the property for slightly above market value and think breaks even. But when the property was built my parents put money into the property after making a brilliant sale of their house at the time. Many others who did the same but not supported by their parents would be worse off then me.

There is no reward without risk. There is no comparing apples and apples. There is no crystal ball. At low interest rates now there is only one way it would go. If you're buying, buy within your means and forecast for a increased interest rate rise. If the interest rate rise takes 2yrs longer than predicted then any buffer forecasted for then becomes a bonus. Don't rely on the current rate.

Get a girl with brains not one with '6 number' followers on instagram

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 03-06-2020 at 04:06 PM.
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: