View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #1151
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Comparing averages is fair enough, but I would point out you could look at what that "average" house in sydney was back then. I come from a family of 5, 3 boys. We grew up in a 2 bed 8 sq fibro house in condell park (bankstown). 2 beds were as common as 4 beds in those days.
If you advertised that 2bd 8sq fibro in Condell Park to FHB for 3-5x their average income, trust me, you'd have no shortage of takers.

Quote:
And in the old days no bank would finance you unless you had 20% down.
How are you going to save 20% of 600k? At the peak of the recent booms, prices were rising faster than people could save.

Quote:
So you and your missus who had been living with mum and dad for years after they were married had saved every possible penny turned up at the bank with 20% deposit.
I agree, there are plenty of entitled twats in that age group. We had a salesperson who was living with her fiance with her parents to save for a home. Yet they were still doing trips to Bali and buying overpriced full breed dogs for thousands. Many are their own worst enemies. But I am annoyed at the idea that the stereotype is at all representative of the majority.

Quote:
They bought a renovators delight but people back then knew how to do things. He'd be fixing the plumbing, frame and cladding while she was painting everything.
If you spend $600k+ for your first home how many people are going to have the spare cash to do any work on it? Nowadays, a lot of the work people did themselves would simply be illegal now, or you'd have no hope of getting it 'certified' so you could get an occupancy certificate (if needed).

Quote:
And seriously don't get me started on single women's wish lists. I made myself so popular with them when I was younger pointing out the flaws in the plan.
Went to school with one of those. Was convinced she should not settle for anything less than successful and handsome. The fact her looks meant she was never going to get those sorts of guys' attention was lost on her. Ended up living with a guy and his dog in his caravan.

Every generation has people that delude themselves. How many boomers think they've paid enough taxes and its the young folk's turn to support them? That too is a laughable assertion. You dont stop paying your way til you die.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote