View Single Post
Old 25-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #27
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
I did check the link on DFAT that you posted. Doesn't really state in which industries investment has been allocated. Meaning, that the UK may be invested in say technologies or medical industries.

Doesn't really show who's investing in our " Key " infrastructure. China we know owns ( leased 99 years ) the Port of Darwin, Land and Water right usage and distribution, Agriculture industries / entities and perhaps energy.

Is there a chart that shows which industries countries are investing in?

I haven't got a full break down, but I did see one on the banking industry vs US shareholders released by Clinton Fernandez. Across the big 4, an average of 60% of shares are owned by US. I assume US includes individual shareholders as well as companies. Its no secret that banks influence how the country is run.

Here is the one that worries most Australians. Agri land ownership. China is 2nd, but only 2.3%.

https://www.beefcentral.com/news/for...armland-grows/

I don't have any stats on "key" infrastructures. But I find it funny how everyone is worried that China being a potential threat to our trade route, yet 30% of our trade is with .....? Yeh you could argue they could block the other 70% but they have historically shown no signs of doing such an act.

Hong Kong is an interesting subject. I asked my uncle living in HK what he thought about the whole China proposal. These are the points he made:
* He said most honkies accept that HK is part of China, but they are disappointed by the proposal, they thought they had another 25 years of the "2 system". They assume it is being sped up because of the increase in foreign interference into China's affairs. A lot of the Chinese, including honkies, believe the protests pre-pandemic was CIA inspired.
* He found it offensive that us westerners think the honkies can't think for themselves.
* Most of the protestors are NOT democracy protestors. They are either kids that feel neglected by the HK system (yes, the current "free" system) or they are separatists.
* The uni student in HK we saw asking US to liberate them, there is a photo of him in the US on stage with Nancy Pelosi. Make of it what you will. I have seen the photo.
* These so called protestors have been videoed stabbing politicians and setting residents on fire. Yes I have seen the videos unedited, they are horrifying. And all the west is reporting is police brutality firing tear gas etc. In any other part of the world there would be marshal law and lots of protestors would be shot dead.
* Yes it is true that journalists are being arrested. That is because the gov is fearful they will incite more violence, or that they will use the footages to release fake news.

Anyhow, I guess that is just one HK resident's view. I don't have a view either way because I don't know enough about the whole thing.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote