View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #977
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have found over the last couple of years, tasks that fuel the mind and break the pattern of negative thinking, have really helped me.

The most obvious being my detailing obsession, but I have also enjoyed baking and, recently, rediscovering the power of gardening. I find that when I’m out in the garden, tending to plants, that I’m concentrating on the task at hand rather than what’s bothering me.

Not everyone is blessed with a green thumb and you don’t have to be and nor does gardening have to hard work. Try sprouting seeds on a windowsill or plant some seedlings in a pot by the back door. Seeing things grow and flourish is very rewarding and feeds the soul.

Despite gardening being my profession, for some reason lately I have found a sense of enjoyment and comfort from my time in the garden. The ability to stick my head into a shrub and forget that the world is pretty crap at the moment is a very powerful tool to have in managing my mental well-being.
It's like many professions...Often the one that you work in is the last that you want to worry about 'out of hours'...

It's also nice to hear that you can drop back into your profession in a time of reflection and get some enjoyment / satisfaction out of it...