View Single Post
Old 24-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #1445
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 
Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
But at least its a true ute, not a cab chassis and tub.
Ford stopped building utes back at XH.
Ford didn't invent the Ute. There were Utility type vehicles around well before Ford merged the back half of one with the front of a passenger car to create a new style of vehicle.

The cab-chassis/tub Falcon's from AU to FGX are still "Utes". The unibody versions you're referring to are technically called Coupe Utilities.
There are heaps of different Utility vehicles out there with a separate cab & tub... and they're all "Utes"

I've owned two XB Falcon Utes (Coupe Utilities) and a BA Falcon tray back Ute... and in the 80s I had a company supplied Hilux Ute (with a long tub). They all had their differences (4, 6 & 8cyl... Auto, Manual .. floor or column shift... etc) but they are all "Utes"

I've never heard anyone carry on about how a Holden 1tonner wasn't a Ute (or a Commodore 1tonner for that matter)
The Holden HQ-on Coupe Utilities (and vans) shared the full chassis with the 1tonner... which means they share more in common with the original Ford Coupe Utilities than the later monocoque Ford (& others) versions. Does that mean that not having a full chassis = not a "real Ute" too ?

Sure... I prefer the look of a Coupe Utility over a Cab-Chassis/tub style Ute... but I'd still take a late model Ford Ute over a Holden Coupe Utility any day (that's just my preference)

This might be just my opinion... but I won't stop calling a Ute, a "Ute" just because there's a gap between the cab & the tub.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
3 users like this post: