Thread: Lego
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #20
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lego

I always loved Lego as a kid and into my early teens, but that played second fiddle to my growing love of playing squash as I "grew up".

Fondly remember the space age Technic stuff of the 80's and 90's. Car's, trucks, construction equipment. Lots of pneumatically controlled construction equipment, before they started using small motors.

I think my favourite was always this one...

I think it was either $119 or $199 back at that time. I saved hard for it. Birthday, christmas, chores... Whatever needed to be done.

Finally the time came to buy it and Mum took me to K-Mart in Footscray (the dumpy basement level store) where I managed to get it. This was pre barcode scanning and the old manual registers. I remember it being a busy day, very long lines and the register operators under the pump.

Eventually got through and out home we went. At home Mum asked me for the money for it and when I bought it back she said something like "it was only $2". I was stunned, couldn't understand why... Thought she was being nice and buying it for me. Turns out the poor checkout chick put the decimal point in the wrong spot. Cant remember if its was $1.19 or $1.99, but it was less than $2.

I remember being morally outraged and demanded we notify K-Mart and fix it. Pay the right amount. Mum then told me it was tough luck for them and I could use the rest of the money for more legal. Moral outrage instantly disappeared and more lego was bought.

Unfortunately ALL my Lego disappeared when Mum and Dad moved to Qld. When I finally made it to their place to clear out what was in storage it was all gone. Along with all my electric model trains (I had a big trainset back then). Vintage Lima stuff all HO scale. It was in an area my Dad packed up and he swears he never threw it out, but can't tell me where it went.

If I had the chance now I'd go right out and buy their new Titanic set.

Combining 2 of my favourite subjects... And an awesome build to boot. But I dont have the necessary $1000. Or $1300 as they seem to be going for. But my toddler nephews, God love them, are saving up to buy it for me.

I remember someone built a scene of the Titanic sinking for one of the travelling Lego shows. They used to setup at the Myer in Bourke St every year or 2. This would have been around 30+ years ago now.

But I still remember wishing I could have a Titanic lego after seeing that... And I'm surprised they never put together a build set until now.

Ahhhh, the memories....
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: