View Single Post
Old 15-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
  • I wouldn't recommend using a screwdriver to remove a stuck filter. I did this once and STILL couldn't get the filter off. There are prong-type filter removal tools that work well when a Ford tech doesn't oil the filter seal and then over tightens the filter! (None of my strap wrenches could get it off.)
  • Leave the oil to drain as long as possible. Overnight is good if you're not in a hurry. You'll be surprised how much more dirty oil drains out if you do this.
  • Provided you use the correct oil, you really don't need to change the oil every 7,500 km unless you meet the "severe service" criteria in the service book. It's completely a matter of personal preference of course, but oils that meet the Ford spec are designed for a 20,000 km drain interval. I'm guessing that Ford Australia have specified 15,000 kms because of the high temperatures in Oz compared with Europe.
I've seen the prong type filter removal tool before but instead of paying for one if not needed, might as well use the screw driver + hammer method for free, as it's worked well for me in the past without any issues (apart from getting a lot of oil on your hand).

I would say most daily driving duties, especially short drives and stop start driving would fall under "severe service". Personally for me 15K km oil change intervals are too long which is why i change the oil every 7.5K km but as you said it comes down to personal preference.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote