View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Thumbs up Similar Experience

Nice work Woosha. It is great to see someone going to the effort to document their work and sharing it with others.

I had a similar problem with my 2002 LTD. Under warranty, Ford dealers were looking at the electrical / computer issues, but could not replicate the problem, let alone fix it. The key for me is that I could replicate the surge with 1/4 tank or less, take it to a Ford dealer and nothing would show up on the computer diagnostics.

I finally made the 1000Km trip to the dealer that I bought it from - keeping the tank above 3/4 as not to give me grief on the way. When I got to the dealer I had let the tank run down to under 1/4 of a tank. I replicated the problem for the Ford 'Technician' with predictable reliability.

What they found was that the pump was 'self destructing'. My second fuel filter was full of black gunk within 2500 KM. I can only assume that the 'black gunk' was rubber from within the fuel pump. Fuel pump was replaced and so all is now good - touch wood.

A couple of tips from my experience - check your fuel filter now that you have replaced your son's pump. I also have an after market workshop manual for the AU range - it advises to loosen the bands holding the tank in place to avoid distortion and not allowing you to get the new pump in.

Well done - keep up the good work. As I work more on my car (now out of dealer warranty), I will try and document as well for the benefit of other members.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote