View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #61
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Powershift transmission fluid change DIY

If you have a level driveway it's possible to do it it an unsafe manner by supporting the car on three wheels.

I did that last time, handbrake on and brake pedal pressed while going through the gears. I think if the accelerator pedal is off and the brake pedal is on, the clutches are disengaged.

I measured the sill height before removing the LH wheel and lowered it back to that measurement to do the fluid change.

Obviously less can go wrong if you remove both front wheels. I use two trolley jacks with struts in that case.

I made a strut for the trolley jack which converts it into a jack stand. Alternatively with a trolley jack you can place a block under the jack head which allows the jack to rest at the correct height.

The struts I made from 65x35 steel tube.
One end sits on the jack axle and is formed by cutting holes the same size as the jack axle in the 35mm sides and then cutting the length so the holes are cut in half.
The other end is cut at 45 degrees and suitably modified to fit under the jack head.
Lowering the jack onto the strut results in a triangular jack stand.

I prefer no to use conventional jack stands because I'm not sure where they can be used without bending something. Besides it's more difficult.

There might be commercially available jack/stand combinations available, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqXIrSVQ3ts
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote