View Single Post
Old 29-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
JeremyK

Default Re: Quick Question: Laser/Telstar gearboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Tool View Post
Which model of Telstar do you have ? AR/AS or AT/AV ?

The G4EL will not go easily into the AR/AS due to gearbox mountings being different as well as the reason you mention. There is a version of the box (G4HL) that isn't electronic but they'd be very hard to get I expect.

Re fitting a reconditioned 3sp is going to be easiest and cheapest. Otherwise converting to Manual is probably the way to go. Bear in mind that the laser uses a different bell pattern so the gearbox wont bolt up to the FE engine in the Telstar.

You can get more info over at www.freeforum101.com/tx5
Its an AT with the 2.0L Carb motor

So Ill rule out converting to 4 speed, so its either replace with another three speed or rebuild this one or convert to manual. Ive had a look at both gearbox's bolt patterns, and without measuring or anything they look a little alike but I would have to measure them. Would it be possible to do it if I had an adapter plate?

Thanks!

Actually, I will go into more detail about what is wrong with my gearbox:

1- It is very difficult to get it out of park sometimes, I think this is probably just the selector level not being quite lined up, easy to adjust that.
2- It sometimes is difficult to get it in reverse too, again probably selector.
3- When COLD the transmission runs reasonably well, but it does seem to suck an awful amount of power. It will idle in neutral at 1250 rpm and put in drive and it drops to 650 rpm??
4- When HOT, this is when problems arise! Shift changing is pretty jerky, not smooth at all. Changing from reverse to drive or vice versa gives you a nice horrible clunk and the whole car shakes. Sometimes second gear slips out a bit, particularly changing out of third into second it revs right up and then changes.
5- It often changes into second very quickly, like it goes first and then almost immediatly into second and its very hard to get the car moving, so you put your foot to the floor and it jerks itself back into first but its annoying as when its in first power is good, so when you floor it you find yourself looking like a hoon as the car is flying, but if you decrease throttle pressure it goes straight back into second again and your back to square 1!!

SO unless anyone has suggestions of fixing these problems Im probably just going to have to remove it and rebuild or replace.
JeremyK is offline   Reply With Quote