Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #275
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Sure will, makes me kind of miss my Kerry Hopkins, nothing rides like a fine steel frame.

Just make sure you check out the chain stays near the bottom bracket, reynolds frames often collect water there and then rust from the inside out. That is what happened to my Hopkins, it got very loose in the back end until one day on a hill both chain stays snapped. It thought I had awesome power until I saw the state of the inside surface of the tubes. The strange thing is you could not see a mark on the outside paint until they snapped.

I think once my Merckx is finished its upgrade I will try and find an old steel Merckx from the late 80's to early 90's, a period when bikes were beautiful and Italian steel was a work of art. I was originally going to do a Colnago but I think I will make it a Merckx, perhaps a Leader MX to park next to my modern Merckx.
Thanks for the tips will have a look! Am planning to strip it back and repaint, and if legit, should be able to get some new decals from Hillman. Very unfortunate to hear what happened to your Hopkins though! Not something that you would expect!

Keep an eye out on gumtree and eBay! Perth gumtree has spewed out a ton of classic steel bargains lately!

2 Mosers (1 frame, 1 complete)
2 Colnago completes (1 mint, one project with full campy chorus and delta brakes!)
A Rossin complete project
A Pinarello complete project
My hillman!

Just gotta be quick!!

A Merckx would be beautiful though! Id love a Merckx Pista. But I love anything track ha ha!