View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #612
Spurious

Default Re: Admit your Garage Mistakes

Here's a couple of laughables for ya'...

I was friends with a 4x4 mechanic in Queanbeyan NSW years ago & he told me this.
He had done a full service on this ladies vehicle, all done (or so he thought), she paid the bill & off she went.
Next day he got to thinking that he'd forgotten something, then it dawned on him that he hadn't refilled the transfer case with fluid. "DoH"!!!

So he rang her up & asked her to return the vehicle for a "follow up" inspection. Upon inspecting the transfer case it was indeed empty. He fixed it & afterwards inquired as to how far she had driven the vehicle after she picked it up the previous day.
She had driven home (some 20klm) to her rural home home in Captains Flat, then she had gone bush to cut a trailer load of wood for a friend (another 5 klm), then she towed the loaded trailer to Belconnen to deliver the wood (another 80klm round trip, then drove to his workshop again.

His only words to me to describe what saved his butt...."Thank god for Slick50" !!!

Next is my own funny incident,
I had an XF that mysteriously refused to turn over one day, funny 'cause I had only just pulled up at home minutes earlier.
I rang my local mechanic who knows ALL of these fords & he suggested it may be the ignition switch.

So out to the car I go to do a final test before stripping parts, no go, so I start the tear down. Steering column cover, ignition switch, inspection, put it back together, out with the tester screwdriver, prodding all wires at different points of turning the key but still no go.

Then whilst sitting in the drivers seat & contemplating my next move (& a big electricians bill) I noticed that the tranny shifter wasn't all the way in "Park" properly. I shoved it in, (with the inevitable audible "Click") & turned the key again...."Vroom vroom". Man I could've kicked myself if my foot would've reached that far!!! My mechanic had a darn good laugh over that one.

Last edited by Spurious; 08-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote