Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #3034
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: New to cycling

Well boys, another week - another flavour.

Tonight I was nearly hit by a Hyundai!

I think it was an i30 but it might have been a different model, I really don't know. I was cycling to the shop in the quiet town I live in. This guy was turning left onto the road I was cycling along.

First I saw of him, I noticed headlights glowing the end of the road about 25m to my left and I noted the vehicle those lights belonged to was going too quick to be planning to stop at the "stop sign". I moved into the centre of the road.

Yep, just as I predicted a silver Hyundai hatch suddenly appeared at the end of the road and without even an indication of stopping - he started accelerating directly towards me (by now I was directly in line with that road). I was wearing a high-vis shirt and had BRIGHT front and rear lights flashing. Clearly he hadn't bothered to look... and I'm not talking about checking right/left because I was DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HIS CAR. i.e. the only distance between myself and his front bumper was the lane I was in. His headlights were almost blinding me. "Surely he sees me" I think to myself.

Nope! He accelerates towards me and there was nothing I could do. I waved my left hand towards him to make him notice me and I pointed to my rear light (which was flashing vividly). I also yelled "WHAT THE ******* ARE YOU DOING!? YOU ********** IDIOT!!!?" At that point he finally noticed me but did this weird thing where he kept accelerating slowly to get into the lane.

Like srsly, bro. There is no traffic at all, just stop and give me right of way.

No! This guy is oblivious. He gets into the lane and I turn and yell "YOU NEARLY HIT ME YOU IDIOT! I'M WEARING HI-VIS AND EVERYTHING!!!" Man, I was angry. The driver didn't seem to give a crap. He was acting like nothing had happened and it was a daily occurrence.

As I'm saying/yelling all this, a Lion's Club down the road is just opening it's doors. There are a number of families walking in who have turned to watch this happen. So lucky that the Hyundai hadn't pulled out 30 seconds earlier when I'd observed an entire group of young children cross the road... but the driver still doesn't seem to care or acknowledge he has done wrong and just stays right up my clacker. I pull over to the side of the road, absolutely boiling with rage but the Hyundai now accelerates past me into the distance with the driver staring at me like I'm the mad one.

This was hands down the strangest experience to date. It's like the car driver saw me but still thought he had the right of way. If I hadn't swerved to the centre lane, he would have hit me, no ifs and no buts. He didn't look until he was IN the lane - just another d-head that doesn't look before going at a stop sign.

Honestly pretty worrying that such idiots share our roads.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: