View Single Post
Old 25-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #353
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
They thing I don't get is that an American can say any of those things to us and we will understand. Yet I said the ute needs a new windscreen the other day and I had to point to what I was talking about.

I'm going to blame the amount of American tv we get.
G'day Giant Cranium and all ," Too right mate."..Say that and see how many blank looks you'd get. That said I have a really good friend in Baltimore , Maryland . He's a born and bred Baltimore native. My other passion is model rail and I joined a U.S. based forum in 2012 and how I got to know Louis.

About 18 months ago I decided to find out how much a phone call would be after countless emails back and forward. To my amazement the cost was 49 cents connection fee and two cents a minute there after unlimited. So , pretty much since then , every Saturday night I rang him and his wife Angela. Now it costs 53 cents connection fee but still two cents a minute..

About Christmas time this year he found out his call rates were about the same , so now we take it in turns.
Now he wants to learn Aussie lingo and he loves trying to Aussie phrases and words. He asks numerous questions about our country and only because he has a debilitating medical condition that makes travel extremely difficult , he'd love to visit.
That said I plan to visit the Bruette's within the next few years.

Point being ,he really tries to get us and is fascinated by how similar we really are.. Not all Americans are as insular as we think which is good to know.. Oh yes , and now we're trying Skype.
He used to own a 1978 Mercury but has just bought a brand new Chevrolet City Express for work and his step son picked up an Equinox..
Just the same I still razz him on the ATM machine he's trotted out in conversation a few times and first question he asks me is "Have you had your tea yet cobber".. a lot of fun..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote