View Single Post
Old 30-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #26
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Powershift data logs and P0715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Additional thoughts and observations:

The service quote appears to list two output shaft sensors, but the TSB points to input sensor. I queried this and it was suggested that the different description may be down to an error in their parts database, but "this was definitely the order list for that TSB". I'm not the expert but somehow I'm not confident?

Input or output? I have attempted to shed a bit of light on sensor nomenclature as used re 6DCT450. I used the service information document linked to below.

There are three speed sensors in the 6DCT450.

1) Reads the engine output shaft speed via the clutch drum. This is the sensor in Bundy's photo, since it has a long wire on it which goes between the tcm and clutch housing. This may also be referred to as an input shaft speed sensor since it reads the input to the complete transmission. Historically referred to as input turbine speed sensor hence the P0715 description. Also referred to a 'damper speed sensor' in Ford service documents.

2) Reads the speed of input shaft 1 connected to clutch 1. It is referred to as an input shaft because it provides the torque from the clutch into the gearbox. The sensor actually reads input shaft 1 speed via output shaft 2. So again potential for confusion dure to terminology.

3) Reads speed of input shaft 2 connected to clutch 2. Again an input shaft because it carries the torque into the gearbox. Input shafts 1 and 2 are concentric, ie one inside the other.

Hope that is correct!

What I have yet to learn is why the Ford service manual says install a new tcm for P0175.

Last edited by rondeo; 30-06-2016 at 11:23 AM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote