Thread: The "ve" Thread
View Single Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #47
macca_779
Turbine Power

Drove two VE's yesterday an SV6 Auto and an SS Manual.
Saw the SS first it had 20's on it and the Cobra Stripes. Very good looking car. Love the wheels, the 20's almost look to small the wheel arches are that big, very impressive.
Drove the SV6 first with high expectations, for the recalibrated V6 to inspire me abit. It didn't Holden has slightly improved the off idle throttle respose, but this has caused it to be two sensitive once under way.
I kept watching the tacho fluttering around while on the road to the slightest throttle flex.
The Auto aint bad shifts are a bit slow nowhere near as good as a 6 speed falcon.
Handling is pretty good of course i couldn't exactly drive how i wanted with the salesman in the back, but i did some 100k agressive lane swaps and besides the higher than expected body roll it didn't kick up two much of a fuss settling quickly and quite stable.
Performance was a huge let down, i've never been a fan of the alloytech and the VE is just as bad as in the VZ. Its totally gutless im sorry but 195kw to me should be punchier than that boat anhor is, the 5 speed does an ok job of hiding the severe lack of torque but its still not good enough. I drove half the time in sprots mode and the shift arent as agressive as they could be. Holden is claiming better NVH with the VE but with the 18's on the SV6 I tested, its about on par with a Falcon.
All in all not a bad car but not as good as i was expecting, which was something to rival an Audi which is supposadly what Holden was aiming for. Sorry not this time.

The SS on 20's well what can I say it sure does have some visual presence and the sticker kit works for the design too thats for sure. The car I drove also had the optional leather which has good support, more than the SV6 which if i buy one will be a mandatory option.
Sitting in the car i imediately feel at home, the new steering wheel is very functional and i love the rotary controls, pitty the cruise isn't there though. The handbrake is about 10 centermetres two far back and feels cheep and nasty, but i can see why Holden did it for practicality not functionality. The panel fit for the car has come so far its not funny. And the battery in the boot was certainly a requirement as there aint much room in there now with the shorter engine bay. I do like the fact that Holden has installed terminals for the battery in the engine bay, the positive is under a plastic cover and the negative post is just beside the left hand guard.
As for the road test it was the first time i've driven an LS2 so expectations were once again very high, a little too high it ended up. I have no doubt that this car is capable of mid 5 second 100k sprints, but like the LS1 it doesnt feel quick it just is quick. The torque rolls on better than an LS1 thats for sure and the recalibrated throttle is close to spot on unlike the V6, the manual probably helped though. The grip is quite high and confident I absolutley love the 20's I was expecting a harsher ride than what I got and if I bought one the standard 18's would feel like pillows.
The performance, hell its a quick car no doubt but to give an example I smashed the throttle comming out of a roundabout at around 40 and the thing just grips and goes but not like a high cube V8 should. I want head snapping throttle respose like my SS in first gear gives, not the ok I know what you want i'll give you a bit first then you can have all the horsepower in half a second. The LS1 does it and guess what the LS2 does it too. The traction is great and all, but with 270kw on tap you expect to have to drive the car rather than just steer it. I suppose we're living in a new age where car makers produce cars that are safe and then they are fun. I miss when they were developed the other way round. All in all the SS is a quick car that rides bloody well for how well it handles and sticks to the road and I could live with it very easily, but is it a fun car? Im not convinced. O and they still sound crap but they're getting there.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote