Thailand Specials

Default Re: Things Id like in a future car design

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Kia s and Hyundai s are getting some pretty bad raps for all this nanny stuff

LKA can be turned off permanently in Ford Puma
It doesn’t beep when you go over the speed limit
It’s un nanny like for a 2022 car
Although when you turn it off before you get out it beeps at you non stop to check rear seat passengers but stops when you open the door
They got all this beep boop, take control of the steering wheel and jam on the brakes stuff, but they can't get cruise control to maintain speed properly, set it to 100 and point it down a hill and do 125km/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm a fan of automotive innovation when it comes to design and technology advancements. Without that, we would be still driving around in unsafe tin cans with underpowered and thirsty engines.

What I'm not a fan of is when something universally understood and functionally perfect gets re-designed for the sake of re-designing, in the process making it function worse or more complicated than it needs to be.

Top of mind would be the modern gear selector. Various companies have made this vital part of the car more complex and needlessly unintuitive, removing the classic P-R-N-D selector gate with a defined detent for each setting. In some cases, this has led to dangerous situations, to the point where Jeep had a lawsuit against them for transmissions not being properly put in park.

BMW have been doing this for years now, Volvo joined the party, and now Ford.

If these shifters saved space on the center console, that would at least be a functional benefit. But they don't, so these things are just different for the sake of different.

And while I'm at, Ford, the + and - button for manual shifting has to go! A terrible design that just isn't intuitive or pleasant to use. Ford had the manual function on most of its cars nailed, this solution is a massive step backward.

The only alternative gear selector I like is what Jaguar have been using since the release of XF back in 2008. Ford have also added it to a selection of their models, the Mustang GT500 as well.

This solution is so wonderfully intuitive, offering a defined P-R-N-D detent, all operated in a single movement rather than having separate park switches, which in turn makes selecting a gear a two step process.
The SA Focus has that round knob style of shifter too, I don't mind it but I'm a fan of ye olde T-bar with the clearly defined detent for an auto as well

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-10-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: