Thread: Overemployment
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2022, 09:40 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Overemployment

I alluded to doing this in the Housing thread.

During my divorce I was looking at expenses of $10-20k some months depending on how difficult the other side was being, how many days representation was needed in court etc.

Including the mortgage of near $4k each month that the other half refused to contribute to for 3 years post separation.

At the time I was working as a full time teacher, so lets assume that's 8am to 4pm.

I would wake at 6 and was doing Uber - at the time there was an option to get jobs towards a certain direction or within a certain radius and would sometimes get 2 or 3 jobs while driving to school, bit sometimes I got none so would arrive to school early and do schooling stuff.

After finishing at 4pm I would drive to the city to work at the front desk of a building, 5pm to 11pm. I did that 3-4 nights a week.

On the weekends I did more Ubering, sometimes starting at 7am and finishing at 10pm. Other weekends I did a cleaning job. I had the odd weekend shift in the city as well when offered.

The place I was living in needed a Building Manager, I applied for and got the job. In turn, I was able to handle many of the maintenance jobs that popped up, and because I had my tools with me, and only charged moderately for my time I did several 'odd jobs' each week.

At one time I had 5 jobs..

Tax time was fun... And guesstimating my income to Child Support was fraught with danger as some weeks I worked double the hours when I didn't have my kids etc.

It wasn't easy, and I'm lucky that physically I could get by on 3 or 4 hrs of sleep a night. When the other side realised that I'm just as keen to keep my assets and see my kids no matter the toll on my body she woke up to her senses and accepted a settlement less than 1/3 the original demand.

Would I do it again if needed? In a bloody heartbeat, but I'm stubborn like that.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: