Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #16692
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Evap coolers don't last that long, metal rusts, plastic sags. Sure you can keep one runing for a decade, but parts are a rip off for what they are and so little people are interested in repairs, or spending summers on roofes (esp 2 storey), every summer there's huge waiting lists and price rises.

In short, never bother repairing evap coolers, due to parts pricing and limited repairers always just replace the unit and dropper at the first sign of problems, and before the summer heat.

I'm not saying that as a past owner, but an ex fridgey. Most fridgies don't want to touch them but I was rare in the fact I'd give anything a go. I always regret it. Never again, too much hassle, multi fan speed controller got complicated, diagnosis hard, some brands had horrendous spare parts pricing, very secretive with repair manuals as they want all customers to only phone them for repairs (and charge $200 hr with huge wait lists in summer).

By the time I had my own business I just used to subcontract an evap installer company just to replace the whole system if I saw dropper metal rust or sagging brittle plastics rather than try repair the motor/speed controller for $1k.

Evap coolers are disposable as they're full of flimsy overpriced parts
Agree with you to a point, I'm only a busted @ss diesel mechanic but I've managed to keep ours running for almost 20 years now, yes it's had 3x fan motors, controller due to a wiring short (dodgey insulation) couple of water pumps and even lashed out for some new pads last year but it still does the job

Only thing I regret is not putting a water filter on the line or even the whole house, we have pretty heavy water and it's like it's snowing when I clean it out.. full on calcium flakes!
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
3 users like this post: