View Single Post
Old 18-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #3796
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

So a coupla days back my showed me the 1/5th scale petrol rc car he bought 2nd hand 12 years ago. He ran it once, it stopped working and in the time since he lost the radio. So no radio, well then it'll at minimum need one of those. So i had the time today and so did he. So i checked it out. Firstly, this thing is big compared to my 10th scale monster truck. The radio issue was the next on the list, but my mate has a very broken nitro rc car, well beyond saving. So reciever and radio from that to test the 1/5th scale. Ding ding, starting to make progress. The steering arm on the servo i reckon was changed by the previous owner as it would turn left, but foul and not turn right. Not the end of the world, spaced that out and she's apples. So before buttoning up the reciver, time to test the engine. So its a 30.5cc 2 stroke. So pretty much a chainsaw engine. So i donated some fuel and 2 stroke oil and to great surprise, after not to many rips of the cord, the thing started as if it had been run yesterday. So first gentle test run only main issue was the brake was virtually non existant. Simple fix, adjust the brake rod. Test 2, now with a brake, it steered and accelerated. I found a couple of minor things i left to my mate to sort out. Just minor stuff like the rear swaybar was disconnected etc.
But my mate is both surprised and happy. The thing he had only run once and sat doormant for 12 years, best part of maybe an hour of work and it goes again. AA batteries were the only other bits required bar recyled bits from busted rc.
We do have a $10 wager on. His chainsaw on wheels vs my brushless electric. I did give him time to give his a few more test runs just to iron out any bugs from sitting for so long.
My mate did say, if he knew it would be that simple he would have done it years ago. And id like to think i dont nerd out on rc stuff too much, but clearly i do a lot more then my mate.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: