View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #3469
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: All things Solar (merged threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post

Zilo's changeover switch concept can be automated and is for places like Hospitals and airports, where loss of grid power could be life challenging.
Yep...also try telling my missus that she has to do anything if the lights go out in the middle of cooking dinner...or the toilet won't flush cause the water pump ain't working from the tank water..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I own an ICE powered alternator, but connecting it up to the house so that all I have to do is start the thing up is a challenge because the alternator location is remote from the distribution board and I do not have a dedicated feed circuit for it. Also I'm not sure if the output frequency is stable enough to get the PV system inverter working. Still working on a solution for this.

Hope I've helped.

Cheers
I don't think you can synchronise the generator to the PV inverter, many have tried and all have failed. Being even a tiny fraction of an AC cycle out presents itself as a short circuit....the bigger the phase shift the bigger the short circuit....usually a bang.

But...there are inverters around that take care of all that.
An AC coupled system with say...a Sunny island and SMA grid feed inverter will do exactly what you require including controlling the generator...this can be done on battery state of charge and even can start the generator to aggregate the AC load if say...welding etc.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote