View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #120
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

I like to look at both sides, so if that makes me an apologist then so be it.

BRI - Australia like to slag it off but won't shut the door in participating in other countries BRI mmmmm. Where is the credibility? There are probably hundreds (maybe thousands?) of projects going on, 120+ countries have signed up, a handful have gone sour. The Sri Lankan port is one that gets brought up over and over again. Yes they made a bad deal and they had to pay for it. Either default on your loan or strike another deal. Up to you. Each country decides whether projects are in their best interest. A bit arrogant for us to judge other nation's decisions. Yes a lot of those countries that have signed up are not "well off"...you gotta ask why...then ask why they are signing up. I know its a wild theory, but maybe they think its for the benefit of their country. They are not pointing missiles or imposing sanctions at those countries forcing them to sign.

HK - In March there were something like 27 applications to Australia. In April there were something like 15. Numbers likely to grow given the Scomo's recent announcement, but don't expect millions. According to a relative living in HK, the protestors are young adults who have felt neglected by the government for a long long time. It was brewing and the extradition law proposal tipped it off....with a bit of outside encouragement of course. Generally speaking the protestors are from poorer backgrounds and struggling. They are not your 1 in 7 millionaires. I think its fantastic the UK and AUS are offering a safe haven, that's putting money where your mouth is. I think UK will see a large uptake given the historical ties, not sure about here though. Question...will border force allow those with criminal records to enter?
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote