View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #1138
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Something I notice in Adelaide is that houses tend to have things like pergolas, its not real common out here in Boganistan on the rural outskirts of Melbourne.

In Adelaide every house and its kennel seems to have the pergola/covered outdoor area and even on houses priced around the $300K mark.

I don't want a huge mortgage, I don't want something flash I pretty much just want to own something.

One of the reasons I'm considering the move when I buy my first property is its $450K-$500K plus here in Boganistan which has poor infrastructure and you're still 45 mins out of the Northern suburbs of Melbourne.

$300K buys you something in that Salisbury/Elizabeth area or Mt Barker if you go south - sure they're a bit low socioeconomic but so is Boganistan, at least Adelaide everyone's within 30 minutes of the city regardless of where they live and I imagine even in peak hour if you're living on one end and working in the other its not going to be like Melbourne where it often takes 2 hours plus go from CBD to Dandenong which is only 35km AND paying tolls for the privileged.
If yo can get something in Mt Barker for 300k, grab it. It has more appeal than Salisbury/Elizabeth.

That said, come further south and head to Port Noarlunga, Seaford area where there are some of the best beaches close by and you could possibly net a good deal in the new estates there.

I live 3mins from Noarlunga and on a hill so I can see Port Noarlunga from my house as well as Seaford and Old Noarlunga. Not in a great area. But the views more than make up for it. 35-40mins from the city center via the southern expressway.

As for Pergola's. Its the SA way to get a verandah fitted cheap. A lot of the low socioeconomic places have them and its suits the need well for little outlay. If you can afford a verandah/patio/alfresco under main roof then you are already ahead. But yes, pergolas are the norm here and only those in higher income brackets tend to find them ugly and prefer the UMR appearance. But they are an affordable option.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 02-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: