Thread: Aston Martin
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Aston Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Whose pedestrian cars are they being funneled towards? No manufacturer owns them, bar AMG having a couple of percent stake. You'd think if you charge hundreds of thousands of dollars for cars you'd have had more than 2 years out of 107 being profitable. They are a cash black hole and have been for their entire history. I mean 7 bankruptcy's? C'mon, that is insane they are still around..
Ford owned them for some years. They and Jaguar were owned by another company I can't remember who. Possibly the reason they are in trouble now is they no longer have an affluent big brother. I don't keep track of car politics anymore, getting old. Time is short...

Some other examples. Citroen bought Maserati in the 70's, Fiat bought Ferrari, VW bought Bugatti and Lamborghini. None of these acquisitions were ever going to contribute significant cash to the parent company, and usually they run at a loss.

They buy them for the exact same reason they do F1 WRC touring cars etc. Associating the key brands with technology, beauty, desirability, sporting excellence. In other words it's publicity.

Our aston martin is beautiful and desirable, here buy our taurus...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote