Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #400
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
That's what our family is doing as of today. Clearly the only reason schools are open is to use schools as a daycare facility to keep services running to some degree. Mass gatherings are key to the virus spreading, so my kids stay home.
This is ok, but how long do you keep them home for, if this is just the beginning it could be 6 months, how do they fare when they go back and find themselves 6 months behind everyone else, then apply that theory to teens in yrs 10,11 and 12 who have exams.
Leaving it up to parents will create a divide in education, sending everyone home keeps them all on the same page and having skeleton staff in schools on modified programs allows those who need their kids looked after catered for.

The school I drive for has 3 buses catering to 34 children, today I had 3 of my 15 away with the parents saying they're scared of the virus, one of my colleagues had only 4 of her 14 attend and the third bus had 2 of 5 attend, each of these services costs the Government $700pw to maintain and as of today only half are utilising it.
The School itself was very quiet, hardly any traffic doing drop offs, so too was the other two schools I pass in transit.
This is the problem, some will just send them and some wont and its the children who'll pay the price in 6 months when the divide in level of learning becomes evident.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support a parents right to protect their children at any expense, but all facets need to be factored in by all concerned.