View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Zigman

Default Re: Sync3 v3.0 Available in AU

The actual upgrade from Sync3 v2.3 to v3.0 was very painless. It took around 15 minutes or so to perform the upgrade on the way to the office one morning. The build being provided by Ford AU is 18025. I later upgraded to build 18093 (see http://www.focusrs.org/forum/30-focu...update-15.html) in the hope the patch from April would fix some annoyances (see below).

Differences in Sync3 ... not a lot on the surface. The nav icon changed to an pointy triangle thing. The connection of apps to Sync3 seems to be more reliable. I haven't tried Apple CarPlay or Android Auto yet. Sync3 found Waze on my iPhone. On the radio the icons for AM, FM & DAB are gone, now replaced with letters AM, FM & DAB. Really annoyingly they have changed the font used for the station name to a larger font. Now stations with longer names like "ABC MELBOURNE" or "ABCRadioNational" get chopped on the right. Did I say this is really annoying.

Waze on Sync3 ... I would regard this implementation of Waze with Sync3 as a "version 1.0" attempt. The display is washed out. The buttons are slow to respond. One of the buttons (forget which) says "this function not available" or words to that effect. On the iPhone the Waze display is backed out with a logo of SDL instead. The iPhone screen is therefore lit up and the iPhone runs hot. If you turn off the iPhones display, then Waze on Sync3 stops (kinda defeats the purpose wouldn't you think). If you go to another app on the iPhone, then Waze on Sync3 is replaced with a message saying Waze is unavailable or some such message. As I said version 1.0 software. Nice experiment, but I have gone back to the awful NAV on Sync3.

Maps ... as expected, no change I have noticed yet. Putting aside the question of a map update which appears to be only available via the dealership, the actual nav app itself is still broken. Every suburb in Melbourne is Melbourne, regardless of the suburb you are actually in. You can be 40 km away from the Melbourne CBD and yet, guess what, the suburb is still Melbourne. My old TomTom from 10 years ago didn't have this problem. Google maps doesn't have this problem. Even Apple maps gets this part right. Why can't a large global car maker get it right? I haven't tried toll roads yet, but don't expect this to have been fixed either. As every Sync3 owner knows, Sync3 NAV is hell bent on getting you off toll roads even if you tell it to use the toll road.

Is it worth doing the upgrade ...

If you are the type that lives in hope that a large, global, automotive company one day is able to fix their software, then yes, why not give it a shot. It may not fix the bugs that have been there since the get go, but at least it hasn't introduced new bugs (fingers crossed).

BTW, did I say the radio font size is very, very annoying. Just saying!
Zigman is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: