View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #355
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
This thread is a funny read, love how people not willing to put in the hard yards complain about sour grapes.

We all have the same opportunities, yet some chose to go on overseas holidays, or **** it against the wall at the local pub, or are too lazy to put in the long hours.

When I was in my 20's and early 30's I was working 70-80 hrs a week every week, I bought investment properties, drove a 25 year old car into the ground and pumped money into two mortgages owning my first property outright in my late 20's early 30's.

Now in my late 40's I reap the rewards, only having to work 2-3 days a week, and spending my days going fishing, taking one of my cars for a drive. It annoys me no end when people tell me how 'lucky' I am to have three show cars, drive a nice 4x4 and live in a large house on acreage with a huge shed.
Im gonna have to disagree with you here to a certain extent and I will try to explain why.
Im 27, I have been working FIFO on a couple of the biggest industrial projects in the country for the past 3-4 years. 10-12 hour days on a 4 weeks on 1 week off roster. I consider myself to be extremely lucky. I have many mates who would kill to get a shot to do the big hours and make the good money, hell I've even tried to get them jobs but its not always that easy. It is easy however to just brush them off as lazy cause 38h week is all they can get.
I bought my first house at the end of last year in Newcastle, 605k (low-mid range). I was lucky enough to be able to save a 20% deposit in just a couple of years. I don't have a missus or kids and I rent two rooms out to friends just to make things easier.
If house prices were 3x average wage like they were way back when id just about own the thing by now.

Im doing a similar thing to you working the best years of my life away, making big sacrifices to get ahead but thats where our similarities end. I don't sit on my high horse calling my peers lazy or denying the fact that I am extremely lucky to be given the opportunity in the position I'm in right now. Its made even simpler in the fact that I'm not raising or supporting a family at this time. A situation that probably half the people my age have to manage as well. Fact is housing is way more unaffordable now than it was 30 years ago and if you think its not you're kidding yourself. My place is less than a km away from my parents house. They built the house just before I was born in 1990 for 54k, house and land. My dad was a mechanic working a 40h week, mum was working part time and they were raising 3 kids. Times were tough but they managed. Try and do that in todays market. It would be just about impossible.

I have a big circle of friends and I like to be close to my family so moving to the country isn't even a consideration for me and I'm sure I'm not alone. Yes places are more affordable and I could do my work (electrician) just about anywhere but if i was to leave everything I've ever known back home I know I wouldn't be happy with life so whats the point? My family and friends are more important to my happiness than anything else.
Not having a go at you mate, you seem very happy and obviously led a successful life, just saying what worked for you back then won't work for everyone now. Not everyone gets the opportunity to make big bucks and even people who work 2 jobs are still going to struggle in todays market. On a side note I do love the mid north coast, holiday up there a few times a year its a beautiful part of the country.

Last edited by FlipXW; 22-09-2017 at 11:10 PM.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote
8 users like this post: