View Single Post
Old 24-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #24
Claytopia

Default Re: Claytopia's XB GT Coupe restoration

So just ignore my last two posts for now and I will continue.

So armed with a soldering iron I went around the car and removed all of the wiring. As usual I took a heap of pictures and I tried to keep the wiring as neat as possible but chaos reigned and even as I looped ends together I could feel it just waiting to be dropped so it could tangle itself beyond recognition I even tried spread it out on the ground to look at. It kind of reminded me of something that Dr Gunther von Hagen would demonstrate as part of a display on the vascular system; only with less blood and more light globes.

I recall one night time road trip in the coupe, it dawned on me that no one was flashing me to complain that I hadn’t dipped my high beams, they were obviously so weak that no one noticed which says a lot about the sort of cars I was driving at the time. After that I had the car re-wired - Yes it sounds a bit extreme when all I needed was a relay but it just wasn’t the case.

Now as some of you may have heard the plenum is prone to rusting which lets water leak behind the dash and as shocking as it may seem, mine has that usual spot of rust. So it was a case of out with the old spliced and dodgy and in with the new (sadly not as per original as I would do now)but a semi-show job with an emphasis on being neat and tidy yet still practical to work on if needed.

Have any of you re-wired your cars yourselves? Would you recommend it? Got any tips or tricks? I am thinking about getting someone to make a harness up for me and then installing it myself, does anyone know a reliable place to have the wiring harness made?

It was during all this that I removed the doors and boot with the bonnet having come off before the motor got pulled out. I then put the doors on some panel stands and pulled them apart. The original glass in the driver’s door is covered in deep scratches and so I sourced a set of replacement glass. I ended up getting every window except the rear window as mine was optioned with the demister. On related news, I did find a guy who could reproduce the rear windows with the demister for only 3k each as long as I got orders for 50… Who’s up for a group buy?

So with the hanging panels now off and the wiring sitting in several boxes; the car was finally looking the part… or is that apart…

Claytopia is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: