View Single Post
Old 27-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #198
greenjgs

Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
so the coupe isn't in the good books at the moment...
luckily my wife is being very understanding and is not too upset.

ok I got the battery and starter connections cleaned but its still playing up. tomorrow ill try a new starter, the guy ill get to do it has 2 starters, one small diameter with a round solenoid on the side, the other is larger diameter with just a small bit sticking off it. which should I go for?

also tonight I ran it out of fuel again, put 5L in the tank and a bit down the carb but it still wouldn't catch and run. even after a few tries there was no fuel in the little filter near the carb. do I just need to tip more in the tank or does that sound like a fuel line blockage?

in the end I gave up, luckily it was at my sisters place so I left it and borrowed her car. ill go back tomorrow and try to get the damn thing going then take it to my mechanic mates place to try to fix these problems properly
Hi Phil. Congratulations on your wedding last weekend. Hope the day was all you both hoped for.

So..... On the starter front. This could be a few things, once you have checked the obvious, battery, connections etc. there are 2 other points to look at before blaming the starter. Make sure the shifter inhibitor switch is working properly and then look at voltage drop to the starter. This was a big problem with XD XE but because of it I automatically fit a relay to the ignition wire to the starter motor. Voltage drop stops the solenoid from engaging all the way in and connecting the actual starter. You will get the clicking sound you mention. If it plays up worst when hot then this will fix the problem

Cheers Graeme
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote