Thread: SVT Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #42
REDDYZ

Default Re: SVT Upgrade

Last weekend weather was around 37˚C and was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Coolant temperature went up to 104˚C at certain point. After I got home out of curiosity checked IMRC to see how hot it was. It wasn't hot at all. Before I relocated it underneath battery tray, it use to get very hot because of engine heat directly transferred to IMRC as it is bolted right on top of rocker cover and is covered with plastic 2.5L Duratec trim.

Has anyone got a chance to check the coolant temperatures in diagnostic mode? Since I flushed out whole cooling system and replaced waterpump, I also bought new Motorcraft Thermostat rated at 188˚F (86.5˚C).

But then I came across fail safe thermostat which in case of failure by default remains open preventing overheating. This thermostat opens at 90˚C though. Am thinking to try the Motorcraft thermostat that I bought before.

On NECO everyone is getting different readings of coolant temperature. Probably because they might be using different thermostats. Unfortunately I didn't checked coolant temperatures before replacing thermostat. Its very easy to change thermostat, and I can do that but I will have to drain coolant and it will make a mess in my engine bay. So, If someone can get into diagnostic mode and tell me at what temperature thermostat is opening and once it is open how low does it goes and how hot does it get, I will decide on switching back to Motorcraft or stick with failsafe thermostat.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote