View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #45
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrniceguy
Was talking to my old man about this today and he was saying the mazda 3 is close to 1700 kg, about 8inches wider than a vb commodore, and about 4 inches shorter. I think our definition of a small car is changing, rather than people actually wanting smaller cars.
I agree that cars like the Mazda 3 & focus are not really small cars anymore.

I dont know about the exact size differences, but I went from a ED falcon to a LS (06) focus, which is similar to the mazda 3 in alot of ways.

I prefer the focus in alot of ways. I can fit far more in the hatch than I would be able to fit in a Falcon, the fuel economy is heaps better & I can still fit 5 people in it on the rare occasion that I do. The focus is also more fun to drive than the falcon.

Sure I cant tow a horse trailer or car trailer. Not that I have needed to. But I can still tow up to 800kg in a box trailer.

On top of that the resale is far better than the same model falcon. For example heres a 2006 model Falcon & Focus resale comparison.

Focus LS CL 5 speed manual
$20,990 now worth $8,400 - $10,100

BF XT sedan 5 speed manual
$34,880 now worth $8,200 - $9,900

I dont think I will ever buy a falcon ever again. If I did need a larger car I would be looking at something like a mazda 6 or modeo for the same reasons.