View Single Post
Old 21-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherontherun
Great write up #Russ#Es#, I've got a whole bunch of kit for my foci. I've got so many questions. I ask as I am considering doing the same thing as the current stock system is nothing flash.

Did you look at any other head units?
What was the deciding factor for going for the head unit you did?
Did you upgrade your speakers along the way? If so, what?
Are you running an amp?

Last question, I've got heaps more, but, where the hell are the screws on the front & rear doors? I've got a 07 Zetec.

Thanks
Ask as many questions as you like, if it means you'll feel more confident in upgrading your head unit. The only info I could find (based in Oz) when I was researching was in the xr5turbo forums, so I wasn't 100% certain all the plugs would work as they should given the origin of the XR5/CC vs the rest of the range.

I looked at the following models, as well as toyed with the idea of getting a DVD/GPS unit from China:

Clarion CX609A - Ugly
Pioneer AVH-P3250DVD - Too expensive, no need for DVD
Kenwood DPX-MP6110U - No rear USB
Alpine CDE-W203E - Bluetooth not built in, display from the 80's!
Anything Sony - no thanks...maybe 10-15 years ago, not now.

The issue I had with most double DIN (but not touchscreen) CD players was they just didn't integrate well with the interior. Most of these units to me just aren't pretty. They are also limited in the display/button colour options, which makes them even harder to integrate. These manufacturers seem to spend most of their resources on the touch screen/DVD double DIN units with the rest of their range being an afterthought. But I guess looks are a subjective thing!

As I mentioned in my first post, USB connectivity was one of my main priorities. Most of the above units only have a front USB connection - this might be ok for some, but given I wanted an OEM look, having a USB drive sticking out the front of the unit would have looked pretty ordinary. I fed the USB cable from the unit to the small storage area where the 12v outlet is housed, so its not in sight at all. Now that I've been using it for a little while, having bluetooth has also been very handy. Had to play with placement of the mic initially, but it works well now. Not all of the above models came with bluetooth built in, the Alpine unit requires an add-on unit.

I didn't replace the speakers but plan to put some decent splits in this year some time, as well as Dynamat the doors. Will most likely add an amp and replace the rears a little further down the track.

It is a little hard to explain exactly where, but the front/rear door trim don't have any screws around the outside holding it on. There are a couple bolts fixing the armrest area to the door frame, but the trim is mostly held on by plastic clips. I'll see if I can dig up a pic for you, the clips can break easily and they're not cheap (I was charged $5 each and I had to replace 3 or 4).
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote