View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #75
EG30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
You are being fooled by lighting I think mate.

Most of the Fiesta pearls have this effect and also due to the panel lines.

To truly pick up any differences in paint you need to do so under controlled lighting and evern better, spectroscopic analysis.

I've seen quite a lot of the various colours now (Thomson has a stack) and not seeing what you describe.

My eyes are pretty good.
colour of panel can appear different when the contour of panel changes ie along panel lines as you suggested say a skirting piece next to bottom of door and reflects light at a different angle, or the same panel where there are different shapes to it where it reflects light differently ie the ws fiesta rear door where it flares up to merge in with the rear wheel arch.

in the case of different paint colours I noticed in the ws fiestas, they looked different even when viewed square ie about 90 deg to the surface 3-5M away, viewed on an overcast day outdoor where there is no surface change ie front and right rear has same contour/shape and quite noticeable on silver cars.

if you place spot lights ie halogen work lamp at close distance ie 1M illuminating mainly a front door and not the rear then they will look very different even with perfect paint matching; but viewed in daylight with a light source far away ( the sun ), diffused by the clouds is one of the best viewing conditions you can get. Hence good spray painters paint up a test swatch prior to painting the car and view the swatch both in the booth as well as in natural daylight.

I had a look thru pics of fiestas on carsales, on silver cars it seems some are worse affected than others. Here is one I found taken from a sqaure viewing angle under bright sunlight:

when I come across a silver fiesta at my local ford yard I'll take a pic to show also, bright colourful hues such as fusion, squeeze dont seem to be affected, nor do white and black ones.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote