View Single Post
Old 23-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #36
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Don't get me wrong i like loctite and all. BUT......

Loctite melts when hot, it then forms into thick lubricating oil like substance again, you know the sort of substance that helps do up and undo bolts, just like when it came out of the bottle. Read the full instructions, somewhere you'll find a if you can't get bolt undone afterwards heat the bolt. Loctite to remain good should be kept in the fridge for a reason.

I have never pulled a set of calipers off to find any thread locking substance on the bolts and i spend around 15 hours a week in a tyre/suspension workshop - my mornings.

The bolt that is use is an intergral locking washer bolt on them, it is not suppost to need anything to lock it up. (and i actually make bolts for a living every night, come visit me in the workshop if you like i get very bored).

And my final remark is that ford do things for a reason, nearly everything in our cars is done from some sort of research and development. Once again i've never seen a pair of calipers pulled off a under warranty car to have thread locker on the bolts.

So in saying all these things, you guys make up your own mind as to wether or not to thread lock them, personal i don't, i just do them up to a bit over correct tension. Which is where i think you'll find the person who touched the bolt on your car last russell, went wrong. Either way it was their fault.

RANT off.