View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:27 AM   #40
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I'd like to see someone pull up a non ABS car in the wet better than an ABS equipped car.
I'd like to see someone pull up a non ABs car in the dry and steer around the accident better than the ABS equipped car.
I've experienced ABS on a track, I don't see any issue with it. I'd suggest you download the Fifth Gear episode from this past season on the latest Bosch systems on a Jag X Type testing in Finland and then tell me that you can do better than ABS. Then tell me you can do better than the VDC systems they've got now.

In the end, though, electronic systems are only as good as their calibration. Some can be quite a lot more intrusive than others. Recent Fords have exceptional balance with their systems.... even on the dirt roads I've "tested" my ST on.

Also, the latest ABS has EBD and EBA. The EBA would be contirbuting more to what Matt is describing as better emergency braking than the EBD, IMO. Unless, I'm wrong and the Focus doesn't have EBA. I'd be surprised if Bosch would sell ABS without it to a manufacturer.
I know you like to think you're 100% right in 100% of all cases relating to ABS, but you're not. Look at the BMW M Coupe that nearly took the life of its driver at the top of Bathurst during the 24hr.

The fundamental idea of how a sand trap works is the buildup of sand in front of the tyres. However, the ABS never let the driver get the wheels locked to start the buildup of the sand, the wheels simply kept rolling, effectively having no braking as the ABS released the brakes everytime the wheels locked.

The driver was bloody lucky to be alive, whereas its possible the car might not have even hit the wall at all. We even had a talk to the team who admitted the ABS system could have cost the driver his life.

So, as long as you're on the black stuff, sure, ABS is good, it's idiot proof, but there are other circumstances where it can take your life.

I stand by my choice, you have yours, and life goes on. And by the way, I have all the Top Gear and Fifth Gear episodes and I know how good ABS is in most circumstances. Don't think I would be posting such opinions with no knowledge at all, enough people do that on the forums as it is without me adding to it.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote