Thread: Worn Tyres
View Single Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See http://www.motovicity.com/Manufac/SPC/index.htm
Quote:
So you have a customer drive up in a Honda (for example) that he just bought and wants to purchase some eye catching 16"or 17" wheels with the low profile, pavement grabbing hi-pro tires and set of lowering springs from a popular aftermarket supplier. This will give him a good start on the look that he wants to achieve.

Performance spring companies abound with choices of height changes for the Honda motorcars that have been produced for at least the past ten years. There are choices from a minor 1" lowering spring set for a modest look all the way to a radical 3" drop that slams a car scant inches above the road surface. One thing to consider when installing these new products on your customer's car is what effect it will have on the vehicle after these new components are installed.

Front Camber Changes
If you lower your vehicle one inch front camber can change by approximately -.75 degree.
By lowering a vehicle two inches your front camber change will be approximately -1.50 degrees.
When you lower a vehicle three inches you will change front camber approximately -2.50 degrees.

Rear Camber Changes
If you lower your vehicle one inch rear camber can change by approximately -.50 degree.
By lowering a vehicle two inches your rear camber change will be approximately -1.00 degrees.
When you lower a vehicle three inches you will change rear camber approximately -2.00 degrees.
I have a Pedders camber shim kit on my NB Fairlane that I fitted myself but it kept losing its cambers settings until I fitted strut brace and a sump guard which together seemed to stop the flex in the wings. Although it has double A arm rather than strut suspension these items also noticeably improved the handling as well.